Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

From Kinabalu base camp to summit

it's good to climb when it's dark

No sleep and 8 hours later we all get geared up to climb to the summit. Wheezing as all get out barely 100m up and the guides are saying i can't make it. I tell them to go on ahead as i have to breathe.

Breathing and walking are the only things i can think of at that point. Walk a few metres, breathe,take a puff,climb. I lose purchase a few times. Take a deep breath in and keep on going. 75m to go and my extremites are numb. Bumped into my sister,she tells me to hurry up. I beg her the use of her gloves,she says no. I keep on walking.

This girl comes along and asks me to snap her pic. then,she gives me her gloves. At that point,i realize that i will never ever go climbing with my sister again. For one thing,she just doesn't really give a shit if i die up on Kinabalu. I thinks that's good enough a reason. I make it up to the top. Coming down to base takes me another 2 hours or so. I can barely see,my heart's racing and i just want to lie down. When i reach base,i feel nauseous. I learn that my sister has gone down to Timpohon.

I'm pretty crooked by then. Fell on my stomach and strained my deltoids and biceps trying to stay on. I decide to stay on at base and sleep for the next 10 hours before i make my way down.
Perversely,i think i'd like to do it again.

(why can't i breathe?: i have bad asthma,Had an attack three days before my climb.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»