Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

World Cup fever

I am watching what is probably the 3rd replay of the Brazil vs Chile match.Watched it last night through an industrious haze of updating my Guardian Soul mates profile. What can i say?. I liked both teams as they are brown people like me, but Brazil were stellar. I am SO hoping they beat the Netherlands mainly because 25% of Dutch people voted for Gert Wilders. Now, i need another whole post to describe what a buddy of mine, who is a 3rd generation immigrant in the Netherlands goes through every day.It's atrocious and gave me the chills.

Sadly, all this World Cup viewing means i am not sleeping much which is a blessing and a curse. I cannot sleep that well anyway after falling down some stairs on 17/6/2010. It kinda hurts when you move around yeah?. Like a knife in the back. However, not enough sleep means delayed healing..what a vicious cycle. Anyhow, there is no way in hell i am going to get up at 430am to watch Portugal play. I abhor Ronaldo and hope they crash out.

It is sad being somewhere where there's hardly any World Cup fever. In Europe, at the airport they set up huge screens in the lounges for us to watch the World Cup. At train stations, public squares, cafes and pubs it'd be packed with people standing to watch the footy. There is of course the agony of your team losing but hey, it's a great we are all in this together now spirit yeah?.

Come on Brazil!.Send the Netherlands packing please.

No comments: