Technorati

Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Spunkeymonkey does Broome in winter

It's my 3rd time out to Broome in the past 18 months or so. I've been pretty lucky in experiencing the Wet and Dry seasons here. Broome time is a different beast altogether and i do not think i can get used to that!.

An example: clients never arrive on-time. If their appointment is at 1400, they'll get there exactly 1405 or later. Of course, if they have to wait..then all hell breaks loose. Realistically, if everyone came in 5-10 minutes late, one session taking 15 minutes or more, then by the 4th person you can easily face wait periods of more than 30 minutes. So, do people bother showing up early?. Do they call beforehand if late?. Nope. I hate Broome-time. I am given to understand it is because it is relaxed and laidback and dreamy here but No. It is rudeness.

Broome in winter though,ah it is so nice (for me). The last few days have been cool in the mornings, enough for a light sweater and then heating up nicely to 30 degrees celcius and then at night cold enough that snuggling under a duvet is heavenly.

Today has been wonderful. I had stayed up late after a "house-warming" party at this new residence. All the key players showed up and it was fun and loud and lots of laughter. After all the rest left to watch Paul Kelly, i cleaned up, had a nap in preparation for footy. Dazed and delirious, saw that Germany won, tried to watch the Tour de France (at this point it was 0130h) and then conked out. Received text from Festival Virgin who was at Hop Farm fest in the UK, at that point it was 3 in the morning and i was still awake because i was bloody hungry but too lazy to get up.Finally got up and received rather cryptic message "Good advice about the wet wipes". Let us not ponder deeply about situations at music festivals requiring wet wipes. I put a mental block each time after a festival.

Knowing that i had sea-kayaking planned later at 250p.m, rather groggily and looking like a rock band groupie after a Hard Night with the band, i started walking on Cable Beach. It was ideal. Strong winds to drown out me singing-along to Goldfrapp's Supernature, cold enough to prevent my muscles overheating and full of life at 7a.m. By the time i finished Supernature and got on to Basement Jaxx it was nearly 9a.m and i had bloody well nearly walked all the way to Gantheaume Point!. A bit too much fun there yowling like a kitty cat but i climbed back into bed after doing all the exercises and stretches the physio taught me for my back.

Ah, my back. I have a torn QL, likely small tears in its attachments to T12-L1, a "divot" in my erectus spinae along T9-T12 and of course some minor disc compression L5-S1. For all that, i thank god for mental strength and general stubborness because i believe that's why i've still managed to get back to work full-on and recovering adequately just 2 weeks after the incident. I am still extremely pissed at DR CJ from DoctorCall at 121, Harley Street who basically said "It's just soft tissue and i won't examine further because you are just too sore". Right, thanks mate. I can't get registered as a GP in your country but i think that's just bloody crap. I have to say this is why i still trust Traditional Chinese Medicine doctors and other allied health like Chiropractors and Physios because they do listen to you and they do trust you. I'm a GP myself and i would never let someone leave after falling down a flight of stairs without checking them out. Or at least give the number and address of some allied health professionals so that early therapy can be started. Big breath out....

Sadly, kayaking has been cancelled as it's a bit choppy out there in the bay with all this gusty winds. I think another walk is called for but i'll make it reasonable, maybe 40 minutes instead of 2 hours plus.

It is wonderful up here at this time of year.

No comments: